Posts Tagged ‘Marsanne’

Wine Review – 2009 d'Arenberg the Hermit Crab Viognier Marsanne

My relationship with Rhones from Oz is still in the courtship stage, after too many poor Shiraz experiences.  My palate is not fan of  over ripe, flabby Shiraz and Viognier one can pick up if not careful.

One of my favorite sections in Randall Grahm‘s “Been Doon So Long.” is where he pokes fun for a few pages ‘Proper Syrah’ terminology vs. “Antipodean Syrah” (Australian.)

e.g. (paraphrased)

Proper Syrah: Name of the Wine is determined by the Geographical location of the vineyard

viagra cost

A. Syrah: Name of the Wine is determined by: Cute animal name + geographical feature e.g. Wallaby Ridge, Wombat Gorge

Proper Syrah: Primary flavors: white pepper, anise, meat, bacon fat, and licorice

A. Syrah: Primary flavors: blackberry sundae and American Oak

It’s funnier when Randall writes it, and there are two pages worth. It’s meant in jest, obviously great Rhones come out of Australia, and I look forward to trying many again this year at the Rhone nirvana Hospice du Rhone.

I was wandering through K&L Wine, my ‘supplier’  in San Fran awaiting will call pick up and saw this. The 90 WS score didn’t really woo me, and the <$15 price more scared me. It’s not a value if I pour it down the drain.  But I am always curious to try white Rhone blends, and Marsanne always adds interesting character a blend, especially Viognier based, so I tossed a bottle in the cart. Glad I did.

2009 d’Arenberg the Hermit Crab Viognier Marsanne

Viognier is the primary varietal in this blend at  72%, the other 28%  being Marsanne.

To The Eye: pale yellow straw; very clear

On The Nose: Abundant; white peach, green apple, guava, lime; oyster shell

In The Mouth: Lush; big stone fruit, citrus, melon. Some minerality. Juicy, Good acidity at finish, only 13% alcohol.

Recommendation:a Quaffer solo; have to ponder more what food I would pair with this besides shellfish. Would please a wide variety of palates.

Rating: Very Good, 89 Points

Where to Buy: d’Arenberg usually has good distribution, Google it or check with your local wine shop. (And always inquire if they can order it.)

K&L Wines has ~5o bottles left at $12.99.

cheers and thanks for reading Simple Hedonisms Wine Blog !

Get Simple Hedonisms via Email

Your email is always secure and never distributed. (You will need to click an activation link via email to complete your subscription.)

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wine on Instagram
Instagram
Reaching over 8,000 Readers A Month!
Unique Monthly Readers (not hits), as reported by Bluehost Awstats
North Coast Tasting Rooms
Like Rhone Wines? Check out these North Coast Rhone Rangers locations. Click here to download the printable four page map.
Subscribe Via Google Reader/RSS
Follow Me on Pinterest
Posts
August 2017
M T W T F S S
« Dec    
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
Past Articles and Reviews
Cellar Tracker Tasting Notes - Last 50