Wine Review – 2008 Folk Machine Pinot Noir, Central Coast

I was fortunate enough to meet Kenny and Lynn this summer during my sabbatical, when I volunteered one morning to help them pick Cabernet grapes, early on a Sunday morning. (And another day Kenny let me spend the day helping with pressing.)

Courtesy of Muddy Roots

Kenny is a wine entrepreneur making wines under 3 labels, Hobo, Folk Machine, and Banyan. He sources fruit and manages vineyards from Rockpile, to Mendicino, down through Santa Cruz, and during harvest is a mad man. His wife Lynn does all the marketing and sales, in addition to their family of two girls. (Lynn just gave birth this week, congrats!)

You can taste Kenny’s wines in their tasting room in downtown Healdsburg,  Downtown Wine open 7 days a week.  You are in excellent hands with Aaron, tell him that William sent ya.

There was a great write-up on Kenny recently in Muddy Roots Magazine, rather than recant it all, check it out.

Color: light – medium ruby

Aroma:  strawberry, red fruit

In the Mouth: light bodied, cherry, berry. Young, but easy to drink.
It’s hard to find knock your socks off Pinot Noir under $20, this is a very good pinot for the price.
Wine Geek Details

The 2008 is 95% a blend of 3 Monterey County vineyards and 5% fruit from the Vecino Vineyard in Potter Valley. About 80% of the final wine is Pommard Clone. The remaining 20% is 777, 115, and 667. The wine was aged in primarily neutral oak to leave the fruit and freshness of the wine intact. This Pinot Noir is intented to be balanced and drinkable. It is not heavily extracted, largely structured, big oaked, alcoholic, or sweet.

If you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing for email updates, and sharing it on Facebook, Twitter.

One Response to “Wine Review – 2008 Folk Machine Pinot Noir, Central Coast”

Leave a Reply

Get Simple Hedonisms via Email

Your email is always secure and never distributed. (You will need to click an activation link via email to complete your subscription.)

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wine on Instagram
Instagram
Reaching over 8,000 Readers A Month!
Unique Monthly Readers (not hits), as reported by Bluehost Awstats
North Coast Tasting Rooms
Like Rhone Wines? Check out these North Coast Rhone Rangers locations. Click here to download the printable four page map.
Subscribe Via Google Reader/RSS
Follow Me on Pinterest
Posts
October 2014
M T W T F S S
« Dec    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
Past Articles and Reviews
Cellar Tracker Tasting Notes - Last 50