Seasons Greetings to the fine readers of Simple Hedonisms! This article is the first of twelve (I hope!) on the ’12 Days of Wine Christmas.’
We will be exploring an array of Wine and Wine Country related gifts each article, ranging from a few events, gadgets and books, and more, as well as the occasional philanthropic touch, which the Wine Country is renowned for, especially this time of year.
Winter Wineland is a special event for me; I can remember it, 2 years ago as the event that made me decide it was time to stop driving up here every month, and move here, and by July, voila I had. (Even when my relationship partner at that time got cold feet at the very last minute. ) My life has changed 100x for the better, and my only regret was I didn’t commit and move back in 1999 when I was first working/commuting to Petaluma.
What is Winter Wineland?
This is the 19th year of the event, organized by the Wine Road - the amazing organization that does events and marketing for Russian River Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Alexander Valley, Sonoma Coast AVAs.
This year 125 wineries (wow!) are participating, Jan. 15th and 16th. Each winery will have something special and unique; food pairings, art, library wine pourings, tours, and more. The complete program is here. (Note this is still being updated, final completion is Jan. 7th.) Last year I wrote a series of 4 articles for the event, feel free to peruse.
Tickets are $45 for both days, or $35 for Sunday. That’s a great entertainment value, and gift for the wine lover in your circle of loved ones.
Beef Up Your Gift with a Raffle Ticket for a $2600 Prize, And Help fight Hunger!
For only $10, you can purchase a raffle ticket to win one of three amazing packages, each worth $2600. The packages are here, I will tease you with the first one:
• 2 nights Farmhouse Inn – the new “barn” suites ($1400 value) exp. 5/11/2011
• 2 nights Fountaingrove Inn – includes breakfast for 2 people ($400 value) exp. 10/11/2011
• Dinner for two – at Farmhouse Inn ($200 value) exp. 5/11/2011
• West Sonoma Inn – spa treatment ($100 value) exp. 8/20/2011
• Arista Winery – Hummer vineyard tour and tasting for two ($100 value) exp. 11/01/2011
• Rustic at Francis Ford Coppola Winery – lunch or dinner ($100 value) exp. 11/01/2011
• Healdsburg Bar & Grill – lunch or dinner ($40 value)
• 2 tickets – Wine & Food Affair, Winter Wineland & Barrel Tasting ($260 value)
You can purchase tickets here. A single ticket is $10, three are $25, and ten are only $50 ($5 each!)
Add it to your Winter Wineland ticket gift, or buy this is a standalone. Or just donate and do some good for fighting Hunger in Sonoma County. Think we don’t have hunger here amidst our bounty? Take a second to read the 2010, detailed report. (I teared up reading this and bought a $50 ticket.) Help the Redwood Food Bank help those in need.
Hunger In Sonoma County Study Facts
- up to 35% were forced to choose between paying for food and paying for other basic necessities
- 33.3% had to choose between payingfor food or gas for their car
- 35.2% had to choose between paying for food or paying for utilities
- 32.5% had to choose between paying for food or medicine and medical care
- 32.4% had to choose between paying for food or their rent/mortgage
- 30% do not have access to a working car limiting their ability to seek food, services and employment
- 21.1% have a hard time paying their rent and were late paying it in the previous month thus jeopardizing theirliving situation
- 16.9% said their children were hungry the previous year.
- 9.9% have no place to live
None of the people interviewed in this Hunger Study ever imagined they would be seeking food assistance.
Each person had a story to tell which included fortune and misfortune, as well as decisions made and circumstances beyond their control.
Raffle Ticket Sales end Dec 15th!!
More to Come
Come back each day for another suggestion. (Or sign up for email updates.) Feel free to email or post, comments, suggestions, questions, I love to hear from readers.
A very warm, cheers!